The Aiguilles Rouges situated on the southern side of the Chamonix Valley, opposite Mount Blanc massif. This is the second guidebook in this series and covers the area from The Col des Montets, and over the Swiss border, to the Passet and Barberine Valleys. Aiguilles Rouges 1 covers from the Brevent area to the Chezerys slabs.
The Aiguilles Rouges 2 guidebook covers 6 main areas. These are:
(1) The steep peaks above the Col des Montets (Mezure - Praz Torrent)
(2) The charming Berard Valley with the long multi-pitch routes on Mont Oreb
(3) Long multi-pitch routes on the Cornes de Loriaz (Tre les Eaux)
(4) The high cliffs of the Perrons
(5) The less imposing crags next to the Emosson Lake
(6) Before finishing in neighbouring Switzerland on the fine gneiss of the Passet and Barberine Valleys.
The guidebook describes long multi-pitch routes that are often several hundred metres long that are a mixture of fully bolted routes through to pure trad routes in the lower to midgrade range. There are also some very long routes detailed in this guidebook with routes up to 600m long on the Cornes de Loriaz, and up to 800m long on Mont Oreb.
Each route is shown on an easy to follow colour topo diagram and a description. Additional information includes the minimum technical grade (obligatory), length and the type of protection required, plus descent information.
Written and published in August 2016 by Michel Piola, this is the 2nd edition of this guidebook, and is in English text throughout.
Number of pages is 240.
Size is 124mm x 178mm.